Should you consider tech sales as a career?
I’ve been working in tech sales for almost 10 years. I’ve seen an incredible amount of change over that time, but one thing has stayed the same: it’s still a challenging and rewarding field of work. If you’re thinking about getting into tech sales, or if you already work in the industry, here are three reasons why I think it’s worth considering as a career choice:
3 reasons why you should consider tech sales
- You can find a job. As technology continues to become more and more integrated into everyday life, the need for those who can sell it will increase. Plus, you’re likely to get better commissions if your tech skills are strong—which brings us to our next point:
- You can earn well above-average wages with little higher education or experience. According to the sales data we collected, SDRs or BDRs (which is an entry-level sales role) are making $82,538 on average when you include their base salary plus commissions. Their base salaries are around $50,000 on average. If you are a top performer, you can make $110,000+. To see the full SDR and BDR salary data set, go here. Also, since there are so many different roles in tech sales—from sales engineer to enterprise consultant—you have plenty of opportunities regardless of what area interests you most.
- You can advance up the chain of command fairly quickly. Kill it as an SDR, move up to an AE, then Manager, VP, and finally CRO.
Side Note: If you’re thinking about going into sales later down the road, you can try using various SaaS applications, these are the majority of tech sales products but not always. To see how they work, check out their pricing pages, the copy they use to sell on the website, go through the sign up process, and anything else to help you learn more about the industry and tech sales in general. Reading this blog is a great starting point!
Tech sales is a place where you can find career growth opportunities
Tech sales is a great place to start your career. It’s a place where you can find growth opportunities, and those opportunities are not limited to the company you work for. You could move up in the company, move to another company, or move into a different role within tech sales. For example:
- Move up in the company
- Move to another company
- Move into a different role within tech sales (e.g., sales operations, customer success)
A career in tech sales offers the opportunity to travel
This isn’t as prevalent today as it was pre-pandemic, but if you like to travel there are still loads of companies that do it. Travel is a great way to build your network and expand your knowledge of the industry. As a tech sales rep, you’ll travel to meet with clients and prospects, as well as attend conferences and trade shows. You may even have opportunities to train in new skills or hone ones you already possess—all while getting paid!
- Traveling allows you to build relationships with people who can help advance your career. It is important not only to meet new people but also see how they work so that you can learn from them and their successes.
- Networking is essential when it comes to business success; therefore, traveling is an excellent opportunity for networking because there’s always someone around that has something valuable for you—including new contacts who could lead into other business opportunities down the road!
Tech sales is a challenging and rewarding career
Technology sales can be a challenging and rewarding career. Salespeople are in charge of building relationships, selling products to clients, and closing deals. If you’re looking for a new job in tech that will allow you to work with like-minded individuals and help companies grow their businesses, this may be the right option for you!
Tech sales can be incredibly rewarding for those who love the customer service aspect of their jobs. You’ll be working with people every day—customers are often excited about the products or services being sold by tech companies. It’s exciting when your hard work pays off when one of your clients signs on for an entire product suite or multiple years’ worth of support services from your company!
However, it’s important to note that tech sales is not always easy; it takes hard work and dedication in order to succeed as a tech salesperson (or any other type of salesman).
Tech sales is an industry with lots of opportunity.
As a tech sales professional, you’re in the right place at the right time.
The tech industry is growing faster than any other industry and has consistently been one of the highest paying industries out there.
Tech sales also offers lots of opportunities for growth. If you want to move up in your career, it won’t be too hard to do so in tech sales thanks to company-wide promotions that occur regularly. You might even have an opportunity to skip over some levels if you show great results! If that sounds like something you want from your career, then this is definitely an option for you. To explore some of the best run sales organizations in the world, check out this list of the Top 20 Rated Sales Organizations.
Tech sales is an exciting industry to work in and there are many reasons why you should consider it as a career. Not only will you be in a growing industry, but you can make really great money at the right company. You can discover thousands of companies with tech sales roles here. If you’re interested in tech, enjoy meeting new people and can handle the challenges that come with this job, then it might be right for you!